That looks great cokey!!! My OH is back from the UK for a few days and he's got quite enthused about the whole thing too. He wants to know if your OH put a watered-down coat of varnish on the mould first Wendy otherwise he thinks the varnish might just flake off 'in use'! More over-engineering methinks. Me, I'm just going to rub candle wax into the inside of my wooden mould and see how it goes. Might make a markII with no bottom like cokey's though before she takes out a patent.
Problem is definitely drying them in this weather though.....can't really see the point in making any more at the moment as I think they'll take weeks to dry whereas in a month's time I'm hoping they'll be dry and properly stackable in a week.
i have just sat here and read this post from the beginning, i am now sitting here with tears running down my face with laughter, thank you all soooo much, as i have not had a good week and was feeling very depressed,
by the way my shavings has a eucalyptus smell to them do you think a bit of that might smell nice, might help with the drying in front of the burner anyway,
Well, you think it's funny do you Karen, when this is really a serious scientific 'speriment, humph?!?! Hope your week improves - have you found the 'floating poo' thread on NH Anon yet? That would be worth another hoot or 2 I reckon. I wonder if Brainiac would be interested in this subject at all.......... Hope the Weetabix are drying well.
The varnish wasn't watered down at all Gill but it is the waterproof stuff for painting the outside of windows and stuff. It's had 3 layers, lightly sanded in between, with putty to seal the edges of the mold.
It's still too bloomin' big though - s'gonna be interesting burning 'em! Like a forest fire!
I reckon in summer, we're going to have to be collecting them right out of the horses' backsides as they'll be dry within minutes once the summer heat gets going! (could be an interesting experience all round in summer )
Do you think these 'logs' would be OK to burn on an open fire guys? Have 2 open fires where we moved to and sick to the back teeth of cutting logs already and only been here since Sept last year. I will watch this thread with interest. Dont know why I havent seen/looked at it before.
I have had an idea for 'mass production' rather than individual moulds:- Have a wooden structure with perhaps 10 brick-size spaces in, place on a board of similar size. Fill your 10 moulds, weigh down & leave til all liquid gone, then lift off mould & voila - 10 perfect Stanleys. Move your board to drying area, get another one & start again - it's gotta be better than doing one at a time!
I did think of making a multiple stanley mould, but decided that it would be just as easy to do them one at a time.... I'm not leaving them in the mould for any time at all - just to get the shape, then they're turned out onto the drying rack...
Just an update on the Stanleys, for all those that are interested.
It having been the middle of winter, and very cold and miserable since i made my first bricks, they've only just dried out. So, last night, I try to burn them in my woodburner. And they were pants.... Am really miffed. They took ages to light and then only smouldered for the evening, giving off b*gger all heat!
We're going to try again this evening though, after cleaning out the grate - wood always seems to burn easier on a bed of ash, but the stanley's may prefer a through-flow of air.