I'm hoping that you lovely DG'ers can offer me some words of advice and your opinions.
We discovered a gelding in with our 4 mares last night, and the dealer cannot collect him until Saturday (tomorrow) morning. Having had a conversation with the gentleman, the gelding was only cut 'about 6 weeks ago'. He has been mounting my 7 year old rescue mare, but leaving the 'old ladies (20, 21 & 25) alone. Although my 20 year old was batting her eyelids over the gate at him two weekends ago! This is not the first time he has broken in, and we had a devil of a job to return him to his field next door last time. Unfortunately, I cannot bring my girls in, for lack of stables, and our field is so steep and huge we would spend all night slipping over in the mud!
Is it possible at this time of year, and with the gelding recently been cut that we have the possibility of a foal on the way? All I can do is wait to see if she shows, because she is so nervous, nobody would safely be able to scan her or inject her at the moment. From past experiences with cattle, the injection doesn't always work, and I don't like the idea of it either really.
Post by specialsparkle3 on Dec 30, 2011 17:32:05 GMT 1
Have you seen Willow in season?? She shouldn't be at this time of year, but it is so mild it definately is not beyond the realms of possibility.
My vet always said that newly cut colts can still remain fertile for up to 6 weeks, so it really depends on whether the dealer is telling the truth about the date he was gelded. I would ask him for evidence of the date of castration and take it from there. In other words, it is unlikely, but it is possible for her to be in foal. Good luck.
Mares can be in season any time of the year, we have foals who were born in Oct and Dec so mares in season Nov and Jan. It is possible but only 11 months down the line will tell. How well handled is the gelding, just wonder if it's possible to have a collection from him to see if he is fertile.
Post by specialsparkle3 on Dec 30, 2011 20:24:15 GMT 1
I still think you have to cover yourself in the event that she is in foal. The dealer should have to compensate you at the very least if he is responsible for the gelding. Do you know who his vet is? Maybe a discreet phone call putting your case to the vet may get him to confirm the correct date.
I'd imagine the geldings owner would be difficult to persuade. I suppose what you do depends on several things, if she is does it affect anything you intended doing with her, is she healthy and well, do you have facilities for care of an infoal mare and foaling - are you happy to just wait and see. I can imagine the gelding owner to be the sort that thinks you should pay him for covering, rather than him paying compensation. I would maybe be more worried about the older mares in case he caught them.